Co-hosted by the German Council for Sustainable Development (RNE), the Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI), the Colombian National Planning Department (DNP) and the Federal Government of Germany
Date: 14th July, 13:15-14:45 EST in New York
Summary: Urban and communal sustainability reporting is growing faster than ever. More and more cities and municipalities have been involved in sustainability reporting, the so-called Voluntary Local Reviews (VLRs). This side-event will discuss the role of VLRs for local delivery of the 2030 Agenda as well as their relevance for national sustainability policy cycles. The following questions are foreseen to guide the discussion:
- What are the implications of the sustainability activities included in VLRs for national policy decisions and, conversely, what are the feedback effects of national strategy and reports on municipalities?
- In what thematic areas of the 2030 Agenda are municipalities the key actors to drive change and delivery of SDGs (and where do they need to have a solid interface with national policy making)?
- Where do municipalities share similarities and where are differences in establishing VLRs in various country context settings?
This debate will focus on policy coherence of local and national policymaking and provides snapshots from Germany and Colombia (a third country perspective from the Global South is still under consideration).
’00 Welcoming remarks: Antje Leendertse, German Ambassador to the United Nations
Steffi Lemke, Federal Minister for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Nuclear Safety and Consumer Protection
Head of Delegation Colombia (tbd)
’25 Movie with voices from German and Colombian municipalities on their path towards the Global Goals
’30 Panel discussion: Assessing local progress and feeding it into national policy-making for the 2030 Agenda
Local and national perspective in Germany:
- Katja Dörner, Mayor of the City of Bonn, Germany
- Dr. Stefan Bauernfeind, Head of Division Sustainable Development, Federal Chancellery Germany
Local and national perspective in Colombia:
- Carlos Maya López, Mayor of the City of Pereira, Colombia
- Olga Lucia Romero Londoño, Director Public Policy Evaluation Colombian National Planning Department (DNP)– Technical Secretariat for the SDGs, Colombia
Local and national perspective in Mexico (tbc):
‘75 Concluding dialogue on integration of processes and international partnerships
Dr. Marc-Oliver Pahl, Secretary General, German Council for Sustainable Development
Dr. Bärbel Kofler, Parliamentary State Secretary to the Federal Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development
Moderation: Dr. Hannah Janetschek, German Council for Sustainable Development (RNE)
Ivonne Lobos, Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI), Colombia
Please RSVP for this event: registration link follows soon