Ulla Burchardt has a university degree in education and is currently a freelance strategy consultant and lecturer for communications management. For more than twenty years, she was a directly elected Member of the German Bundestag (parliament). Motivated by the structural changes in her home city of Dortmund and the metropolitan Ruhr region, her priorities were – and still are – sustainable development and education as well as research and innovation. ‘Nothing good happens unless you do it’ – in keeping with her professional motto, she co-founded the German Government’s sustainability institutions and was responsible for promoting the German Government’s efforts as part of the ‘UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development’.
Ulla Burchardt is deputy chairperson of the Board of Trustees of the Technical University of Berlin and shareholder and Member of the Advisory Council of the Berlin-based IZT (Institute for Future Studies and Technology Assessment). Ms Burchardt chairs the Science Committee of the German Commission for UNESCO in Bonn. In November 2016 she became a Member of the German Council for Sustainable Development.
- 22 April 1954
- Born in Dortmund, two daughters, one grand-son
- Studied education, psychology and social sciences, graduating as a ‘Diplompädagogin’ (Master’s Degree in Education)
- Professionally employed in the field of youth and adult education
- Member of the German Bundestag (inter alia, between 1992 –94 / 1995-98 Member and SPD Speaker of the parliamentary select committee ‘Protection of People and the Environment’ (Sustainability Select Committee); from 2005 – 2013 chairperson of the Committee on Education, Research and Technology Assessment
- Since 2013
- Lecturer, inter alia, at the TU Dortmund and the BSP Business School Berlin as well as strategy consultant for private and public institutions
Panel and Association Membership
- Deputy chairwoman of the Board of Trustees, TU Berlin
- Shareholder and Member of the Advisory Board of the Institute for Future Studies and Technology Assessment (IZT), Berlin
- Chair of the Science Committee, German Commission for UNESCO, Bonn
- Member of the Board of Trustees and Management Board of the Friederich-Ebert Foundation
- Specialist advisor, RuhrFutur, Mercator Foundation, Essen
- Member of the Dortmund Education Commission
- Member of the German Council for Sustainability
This press photo can be used free of charge for media coverage when connected with a copyright note.
To download the photo in high resolution we recommend to click the link with the right mouse key. The photo file can then be saved to your computer via the context menu “Save target/link as…” (or similar).