Federal Chancellor reappoints members of German Council for Sustainable Development
Berlin (Germany), 26 October 2016 – Federal Chancellor Angela Merkel has reappointed the German Council for Sustainable Development (RNE).
The 15-strong Council will consist of seven women and eight men.
Those appointed for the first time are:
- Ulla Burchardt (former German MP)
- Katherina Reiche (former parliamentary under-secretary of state; former German MP; Managing Director German Association of Local Utilities (VKU))
- Dr. Werner Schnappauf (former Bavarian State Minister for the Environment and Consumer Protection; former Director-General Federation of German Industries Development (BDI))
- Prof. Dr. Ulrich Schraml (Forest Research Institute Baden-Wuerttemberg (FVA), Freiburg i. Br.)
- Achim Steiner (former Executive Director United Nations Environment Programme, UNEP; Director Oxford Martin School)
- Heidemarie Wieczorek-Zeul (former German MP; former Federal Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development)
Those who have been reappointed are:
- Prof. Dr. Alexander Bassen (Full Professor of Capital Market and Management at the University of Hamburg)
- Kathrin Menges (Executive Vice President Human Resources at Henkel)
- Alexander Müller (former Assistant-Director General of the FAO; former State Secretary in the Ministry for Consumer Protection, Food and Agriculture (BMVEL) Managing Director TMG. Think Tank for Sustainability and Study Lead TEEBAgriFood)
- Prof. Dr. Lucia Reisch (Copenhagen Business School, Chair of the Advisory Council for Consumer Affairs (SVRV) )
- Dr. Imme Scholz (Deputy Director German Development Institute (DIE))
- Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schuster (former Lord Mayor of the City of Stuttgart; Chairman Deutsche Telekom Foundation)
- Marlehn Thieme (Chairwoman ZDF Television Council; Member of the Council of the Evangelical Church in Germany (EKD))
- Olaf Tschimpke (President of Nature And Biodiversity Conservation Union (NABU))
- Prof. Dr. Hubert Weiger (Chairman of Friends of the Earth Germany (Bund für Umwelt- und Naturschutz Deutschland, BUND))
The Council members will elect their chair from within their ranks during their inaugural meeting. The Council is assisted by the RNE Office headed by its Secretary-General, Prof. Dr. Günther Bachmann.
. . .
The German Council for Sustainable Development (RNE) was first called into being in April 2001 by the German government of that time under Federal Chancellor Gerhard Schröder. RNE comprises 15 public figures. Its tasks are to generate contributions for implementing the National Sustainability Strategy, to specify concrete fields of activity and projects and also to make sustainability a public issue of vital importance. RNE independently chooses its array of topics and actions. Examples of the outcomes of its current work include the Sustainability Code, statements on the government’s National Sustainability Strategy draft, on the Sustainable Development Goals, on climate policy, raw material policy and fiscal sustainability as well as on organic farming. It also includes the civil society initiatives of the sustainability project, the strategy dialogue with lord mayors on sustainable urban development, impulses from youths and young adults for municipal sustainability and German sustainability policy as well as RNE’s contributions towards the green economy.
Media Relations RNE
German Council for Sustainable Development
Office c/o GIZ GmbH
Potsdamer Platz 10
Telephone: +49 (0)30/338424-233