Prof. Dr Gesche Joost (born in 1974) is a professor of design research at Berlin University of the Arts and Head of the Design Research Lab (research projects and teaching on the topics of human-machine interaction gender and diversity issues in technological development, and social sustainability and societal participation). She is the Digital Ambassador for Germany to the Digital Champions Initiative of the European Commission. Ms Prof. Dr Joost is a member of the German federal government’s Advisory Council for Consumer Affairs.
In her work for the German Council for Sustainable Development, she focuses on the intersection of digitisation and sustainability.
- Graduated with a degree in design, Fachhochschule Köln, degree: Diplom Designer (FH)
- Studies in rhetoric, University of Tübingen
- Visiting student in master’s programme for design studies at Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT)
- Doctoral studies in fundamental features of film rhetoric in the work of Gert Ueding at the University of Tübingen (Dr. phil.; summa cum laude)
- Lecturer on audiovisual media and design theory at the Köln International School of Design (KISD)
- Senior Research Scientist at TU Berlin in cooperation with Telekom Laboratories
- Since 2005
- Head of the Design Research Lab
- Visiting professor for the topic of gender & design at the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Hildesheim (HAWK)
- Junior Professor for interaction design & media at TU Berlin
- Since 2011
- Professor of design research at Berlin University of the Arts
- Since 2016
- Scientific Director of Interactive Textiles at the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI) in Berlin
- Since 2008
- Chairwoman of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Designtheorie und -forschung e.V.
- Since 2012
- Jury Chairwoman of the CeBIT Innovation Award of the Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF)
- Member of the Board at TSB Technologiestiftung Berlin
- Network policy expert on the campaign team of SPD chancellor candidate Peer Steinbrück
- Member of the Board of Trustees at Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
- Since 2014
- Member of the Advisory Council for Consumer Affairs (SVRV) of the Federal Ministry of Justice and Consumer Protection (BMJV)
- Since 2014
- Internet ambassador (“Digital Champion”) of the Federal Republic of Germany to the European Commission
- Since 2015
- Member of the Goethe Institute; member of the Board of Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes; member of the Supervisory Board of SAP
- Since 2017
- Member of the Supervisory Board of ING DiBA; member of the Supervisory Board of OttoBock
- Design research
- Human-machine interaction
- Gender and diversity in technological development
- Social sustainability
- Societal participation
Board seats and functions (selection)
This press photo can be used free of charge for media coverage when connected with a copyright note.
To download the photo in high resolution we recommend to click the link with the right mouse key. The photo file can then be saved to your computer via the context menu “Save target/link as…” (or similar).