Olaf Tschimpke studied geography, geology, soil science, land cultivation and water management in the German city of Gießen. He also studied economics at the distance teaching university FU Hagen. Before working for the German Nature and Biodiversity Conservation Union (NABU), he researched environmental issues such as environmentally compatible land use in Sri Lanka and Tanzania.
Olaf Tschimpke joined NABU’s predecessor organization, the DBV, in 1976. In 1985, he became NABU’s Executive Director for the federal German state of Lower Saxony and, in 2000, Chairman of NABU Lower Saxony. He was elected president of NABU in Kassel in 2003. Since 2004, Olaf Tschimpke has chaired the board of trustees of the Foundation “Naturschutzgeschichte” and is a member of the board of trustees of both the Michael Otto Foundation for Environmental Protection and the Hanns R. Neumann Foundation. Furthermore, he is a member of the supervisory board of the Wuppertal Institute and of the ZDF Television Council.
Having become a member of the German Council for Sustainable Development in June 2010, he was subsequently elected to the position of deputy chairman in 2012 and again in 2016.
Olaf Tschimpke is married and has three grown-up children.
- Election as president of the German Nature and Biodiversity Conservation Union (NABU)
- 2000 – 2003
- State chairman of NABU Lower Saxony
- 1995 – 2001
- Assistant lecturer for environmental politics at FH Hildesheim/Holzminden
- 1985 – 2000
- Executive director of NABU in the state of Lower Saxony
- 1982 – 1985
- Research about environmentally compatible land use in Sri Lanka and Tanzania
- Graduation with diploma certificate in Geography
- 1976 – 1982
- Studies at Justus-Liebig-Universität Gießen; subjects: Geography, Geology, soil science, land cultivation and economy of water as well as economics at FU Hagen
- High school graduation (A levels) at Ratsgymnasium in Peine
- Born in Peine
Mandates and honorary commitment
- Since 2012
- Deputy Chairman of the German Council for Sustainable Development (RNE), re-elected in 2016
- Since 2010
- Member of the German Council for Sustainable Development (RNE)
- Since 2008
- Member of the board of trustees of the Hanns-R.-Neumann Foundation
- Since 2004
- Chair of the board of trustees of the Foundation “Naturschutzgeschichte”
- Since 2003
- Member of the ZDF Television Council
- Since 2003
- Member of the board of trustees at Michael Otto Foundation for Environmental Protection
- Since 2003
- Member of the supervisory board of the Wuppertal Institute
This press photo can be used free of charge for media coverage when connected with a copyright note.
To download the photo in high resolution we recommend to click the link with the right mouse key. The photo file can then be saved to your computer via the context menu “Save target/link as…” (or similar).