Alexander Müller, a graduate sociologist, is directing a global study for the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) on ‘The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity for Agriculture and Food’ and managing the ‘TMG – Töpfer, Müller, Gaßner GmbH, ThinkTankforSustainability’. From 2006 to 2013, he was Assistant Director-General of the Natural Resources Management and Environment Department at the UN World Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Before this, he was State Secretary at the German Federal Ministry for Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection (BMELV).
From 2013 to January 2016, he worked as a senior research fellow at the Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies (IASS) in Potsdam. Alexander Müller has been a member of the German Council for Sustainable Development since 2013.
Previous appointments and achievements
- Since 04/2016
- Managing Director of TMG – Töpfer, Müller, Gaßner gmbH, ThinkTankforSustainability
- Since 02/2016
- Head of a global study of the United Nations Environment Programme on ‘The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity for Agriculture and Food’
- Since 2013
- Member of the German Council for Sustainable Development (RNE)
- 2013 – 2016
- Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies (IASS) in Potsdam, Germany
- 2006 – 2013
- Assistant Director-General of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in Rome, Natural Resources Management and Environment Department
- 2008 – 2011
- Chair of the United Nations System Standing Committee on Nutrition (SCN)
- 2001 – 2005
- State Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMELV), Germany
- 1995 – 2001
- Member of Parliament, Hessen, Germany; Chairman of the Caucus of the Green Party; Member of the Committee of Environmental Affairs, of the Finance Committee and of the Committee for New Media, Wiesbaden, Germany
- 1992 – 1995
- State Secretary of the Hessian Ministry of Youth, Family and Health Affairs, Wiesbaden, Germany
- 1985 – 1992
- City Councilor in Marburg/Germany with the responsibility for environmental and social affairs; chair of the board of municipal utilities for energy, water and public transport
- 1977 – 1985
- Master of Social Sciences (Sociology, Political Sciences) at Philipps University in Marburg, Germany
This press photo can be used free of charge for media coverage when connected with a copyright note.
To download the photo in high resolution we recommend to click the link with the right mouse key. The photo file can then be saved to your computer via the context menu “Save target/link as…” (or similar).